On 21 November 1948, Seonheul-ri was burnt down and villagers hid in Moksimul Cave. Later, they were found and killed by the army. The 9th Regiment of Hamdeok started killing Seonheul villagers hiding in Doteul Cave, and on the next day, killed around 40 villagers hiding in Moksimul Cave. Then the 9th Regiment tortured people and found other hideouts such as Daesubyi Cave and Benbaengdui Cave, and killed the people who were hiding there as well.
Source: Memorial Committee for the 70th anniversary of the Jeju April 3rd Uprising and Massacre <Explore the Historical Sites of the April 3rd Uprising and Massacre>
- categoryArea Jeju-si, East Side
- gps_fixedLatitude 33.51025
- gps_fixedLongitude 126.722333
- pin_dropAddress San 26, Seonheul-ri, Jocheon-eup, Jeju-si
- directions_walkDirections Dongbaek-ro, 1km from Doteul Cave toward Dukchon, 130m into the forest next to bee-farm